Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Target CDs

geoff wrote: "Oh dear. Hobby-horse rears it's head again.

Sadly a highly flawed and erroneous page that only perpetuates a lack of
deeper understanding of the multiple issues with good or bad mastering
and remastering..

- Loudness wars are/were not the sole the domain of REmastering.

- Remastering does not inherently imply reduced dynamic range.

- Loudness (or other mastering or remaster processes) do not inherently
need to be digital to acheive either good or bad things.

- There are many remastered releases that sound FANTASTIC compared to
the original. The most objectionable ones were from the era of early
digital processing with relatively poor AD and bit-depths. And those
flaws are not related to hyper-compression.

geoff "

Well, in every example on that page, as
pertaining to main stream releases, the
remaster appears to have just been made
louder, with less D.R. And no improvements
in converters, or 24 vs 16bit transfers, can
make up for what was done in those cases
after transferring. And yes, I do know
that remastering does not *have* to mean
what was done in the examples on that
page, but: that is what was sold to
unsuspecting fans of those particular
performers as 'remastered'.

No thanks, I'll keep my original CDs and
Targets. Ain't missing much.