Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default How do you personally shop for Hi-Fi speakers?

Neil wrote:
On 6/9/2017 1:00 PM, Brassplyer wrote:
I'm not referring to just general principals of what to look for,
I mean specifically what do *you* personally do when looking for
speakers for recreational listening? Do you regard the listening
rooms at Best Buy to be useless or do you think they're good enough
to evaluate speakers/amps? Or is there nothing at Best Buy you feel
is worth having?

Or do you just use studio monitors?

Although certainly not the way most folks do things, the last thing
I would do is go to a "listening room" that I'm not completely
familiar with. Since I don't hang out in listening rooms, there are
none that I could trust enough to evaluate a speaker's
characteristics. Put another way, how a speaker sounds is
interdependent on the room's characteristics, atmospheric conditions
such as humidity and pressure, and the equipment used to play
whatever you're listening to.

So, my approach would be pretty unorthodox; I first would use my
eyes! I want to see a white noise plot and sine wave sweep that was
done in an anechoic chamber of the particular speaker. I could then
match the plots up with my room's characteristics and choose the best
fit.

So, I may never listen to them before buying them.

When I last bought monitors, they were as close as I could get
to something I was somewhat familiar with. At the time, they were
for sale at MARS which had a listening room. I brought some of my own
stuff with known problems. I heard those about right and bought
them.

I'd have rather had a nice 2.1 Blue Sky setup, but this was 1/10th
the price and good enough.

The only thing I don't like about them is that I am guessing what
many car systems will make the material sound like in the mid
bass. But I can work around that. Ideally, I'd put a sub on but
I can't quite get to adding a sub just to simulate bad car audio.

--
Les Cargill