Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default How do you personally shop for Hi-Fi speakers?

Brassplyer wrote:
I'm not referring to just general principals of what to look for, I mean sp=
ecifically what do *you* personally do when looking for speakers for recrea=
tional listening? Do you regard the listening rooms at Best Buy to be usele=
ss or do you think they're good enough to evaluate speakers/amps? Or is the=
re nothing at Best Buy you feel is worth having?=20

I would go to an actual stereo store, not Best Buy or Radio Shack or the
supermarket, but a place that sells stereo equipment with employees who know
what they are selling, and I would sit down with recordings that I know and
listen to them.

I might start out thinking about a particular speaker manufacturer, then go
look for a dealer that handles that line. But once I got there I would also
listen to whatever other lines they had.

And I would consider going to a stereo show, like the Stereophile show or
the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival or the Capitol Audiofest in order to listen
to a whole lot of different systems at different price ranges in a small
time period. You can walk down the hall and see twenty rooms set up by
twenty different dealers with twenty totally different philosophies.

And then... whatever I am interested in, I would get on evaluation to try in
my own room before buying anything.

Or do you just use studio monitors?

I might... but then it comes back to the same question, how do you choose
them over all the studio monitors out there?