Posted to rec.audio.tech
gregz gregz is offline

Default cost effective acoustic foam????

Dick Pierce wrote:
wrote:
no mess: "Probably only an issue if he attacks it with a blow torch,
after installing on the outside of his house."
My priorities regarding soundproofing foam:
#1. Flame retardent/resistant.
#2. Sound absorbtion.
Remember the Station!
'nuff said.

What do you mean by "soundproofing? Do you mean preventing sound
from getting in or out of an enclosed space (or, as it sometimes
referred to, reducing sound transmission)? If so, foam is pretty
terrible at that, especially at low frequencies.

This old thread somehow got restarted. I recently saw some kind of demo
showing how blow in cellulose is much better absorber of mid to high
frequencies compared to fiberglass. I'm installing doors downstairs, and
solid core is obviously best. I bought one plastic sided door. At a doctors
office using the same door, I heard everything going through. I'm thinking
of doing an experiment if I can determine how the spacers are laid out.
That's a workroom. I think I'll use heavier doors on bath, entertainment,
bedroom.

Greg