Posted to rec.audio.opinion,alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics
dude-guy dude-guy is offline

Default noise reduction material for window, noise from church bells

On 29 Sep., 19:50, dlzc wrote:
Only thing, no. *The material's ability to dampen
vibration (good for polymer, poor for glass), and
mechanical isolation. *Triple

Yes, this is also what I thought...

Polymer = good at damping vibrations...
Glass = has higher density...

What should I choose?

Both, if sandwiched.

OMG... Now we're back again to the mass discussion. Is mass (real
glass, not polymers) the most important thing or is it the ability to
absorb noise (polymers, lower density)?

Some people say glass is the only thing to consider (double layer) and
now you say polymer (since there's already glass)... Is it strange I'm
confused?

What is the optimal / the best, when there's
already 1 layer of glass (actually 2 thin
layers, it's a thermo-isolating window for cold
winters)...

paned glass is like a wall, for both sound
and heat transfer
(well...)

Does it matter whether it's high or low frequent
noise?

The spacing between panes will decide whether
it dampens / isolates or resonates / amplifies
the noise.

How to find the best spacing for absorbing noise
from church bells?

What would you recommend?

The mathematics on spacing will be similar to the length of an organ
pipe, only closed at both ends. *1 to 2 inches in length (separation)
will not respond well to the first few harmonics of the bell's tone.

I've probably seen something like that before, but how do you
calculate the harmonics?

Since this is posted to materials science and acoustics science
group(s), I hope somebody knows how to calculate it and can show the
equations for the rest of us?

Almost anything will be better than nothing.

Yes, agreed and something must (and will) happen... I just want "the
best solution" and get to a good understanding of the important
variables to choose the solution from (before spending my money on
something that could later turn out to be more or less useless)...