Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 16 Jun 2005 03:14:23 GMT, wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I have the following worry about audio listening tests. Suppose the
meaningful variable is a property of an extended passage, not a short
snippet. Then a subject's failure to accurately distinguish or
re-identify may be due to an inability to retain the property in
memory.

Then it's not audible. End of discussion.

If you hear something but do not retain a memory of it (sufficient to
carry out a certain kind of test), you still heard it. No?

In a sense, I suppose, but in that case you can't carry out any kind of
a comparison at all. So how could you be conscious of it under any
conditions? And if you can't be conscious of it under any conditions,
how can you say that you "heard" it?

Though I suspect you meant something slightly different, based on
another post, so I'll respond to that one.

bob