Bob Cain

Arny Krueger wrote:

Don't you need two convolutions - one of the target room and one of
the room at hand?

Actually you need four total in real time but not for that
reason. The room at hand is not an issue because the target
is being simulated on 'phones.

I missed the mark when I said any stereo convolver would
work. It actually requires four FIR filters calculated from
the measurements taken from the room and also from the
'phones. Three sweeps must be recorded in all for me to
calculate the four FIRs used in real time. In use the L and
R channels are convolved with two of the calculated FIRs and
summed for the left ear and similarly for the right ear with
the other two FIR's. I should have said it can be done by
any DAW or plug that can do stereo _cross_ convolution.
That leaves only plugs because I know of no DAW that can do
that intrinsically.

Voxengo's Pristine Space VST plug is capable with eight
inputs, eight convolutions and eight outputs which can be
routed and summed arbitrarily. I think his lite version of
it is stuck at simple stereo but I'm going to talk to him
about adding the cross capability to it.

What's nice about his convolver is it offers true, zero
latency partitioned convolution which is pretty much
required for a mixing environment.

The SIR convolver may do it but I haven't used it lately to
know for sure. I'm pretty sure that SIR doesn't have zero
latency, however.

The net of all this is that you should hear your monitors
and room over the phones at the point where you took the
measurements. Works remarkably well for me with my HR824's
in a nasty, unoptimized room over nasty R.S. Titanium
'phones. Of course the position is static, but hey.

I've made an AudioMulch patch using Pristine Space and
Virtual Cable to intercept and process anything that would
be sent to my sound card. I point all my sound apps
including "Multimedia" to Virtual Cable, have Mulch take its
input from that, process it and send it to the sound card.

This doesn't seem to be as specific to a particular pinnae
shape as people in surround seem to think it should be.
I've asked a few others to appraise what I calculated using
mine and they've found it pretty convincing.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein