LeBaron & Alrich

Default Miking an upright piano

John Cafarella wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1061169028k@trad...

Engineers find solutions to these problems, but it's not always the
same solution. Depends on lotsa stuff.

I'm really Mike Rivers - )

I know this sounds obvious, but it's REALLY important to make sure the piano
isn't against a wall.

Except when that's how to get the sound you're after. Sometimes an
upright piano that is lacking in low end extension will smooth out
nicely down there when placed against a wall. In my music room there are
several wall options and we were fascinated one day by the change in
piano sound when we'd moved the instrument. (And I don't mean change of
its state of tune. g)

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement