Hannibul Artese

(Marshall) wrote:

I am having a very frustating time getting the volume we disire out of
my sound system w/o excessive feedback. I play in a bluegrass band (
www.whitepinehollow.com ) and attemtping to get a clean, amplified
acoustic sound working a single condenser mike. Our system is: AKG C
3000 B mike, sometimes a AKG C 1000 on the acoustic bass at very low
gain, Mackie 1202 board, JBL EON G2 Powered speakers. It seem like
I'm in a tug - of - war between cutting gain (loosing the mike power
we need) and increasing volume. I've had tons of advise from "ditch
the powered speakers - they're for outdoors only", to "ditch the
condenser mikes, they'll only feed". I am tempted to try a feedback
eliminator but have been told they take out too much tone?

The problem is that acoustic gain is inversely proportional to the
distance between the microphone and sources. If you want to work further
from the microphone, then you need to move the speaker further from the
mic, or the audience closer to the speaker. With only a pair of powered
speakers, you probably can't do much about the relative distances between
speaker and mic, or speaker and audience.

So, if you want more gain, you need to close the distance between the
mic and the instruments.

I'd consider pickups or close micing on instruments as the next step.

And yes, the feedback eliminator is a bandaid. Avoid it if at all
possible.