Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default compact mixer of decent quality

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 7/11/2014 9:08 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The last I heard, the Plangent system didn't work in realtime and was
still
based on some heavy Matlab code for the demodulation. It's amazing,
though,
the change in sound is considerable. Then again, the blending and blur
that
it removes is part of the reason why people still use tape today.

Obviously it's not a simple task. Celemony's (the company that makes
Melodyne) Capstan program also crunches numbers in its own good time. It's
$4,458 to buy and a 5-day rental for all the flutter you can remove is
$199.

I have never even heard of Melodyne before...

That's what you use when you don't want to use Auto-Tune. It has some neat
tricks when it's smart enough, and the audio is clean enough. You can run
it against a chord, it'll show you all of the notes in the chord, and you
can change the pitch of an individual note, like change a chord from major
to minor. I think PreSonus is bundling a light version of it with their
mixers and audio interfaces now, maybe as part of their Studio One DAW
program.

I can see how Melodyne would be very attractive for a project studio doing
demos for people who really need it. I know a young lady who got her parents
to pay for a lot of studio time and ended up with a really nice sounding
demo. But having heard her in person I would have advised that they save
their money - she's a terrible singer and the studio probably used Melodyne
and a lot of time to fix it all up.

Sean