Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default TV Antenna Connections & Temperature

On Nov 29, 11:51*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:

We got a bigger fancier antenna. Will assemble it and start using it
tonight.

Just installed this *http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3928468
and am already seeing steady 100s across the band on the signal

We went with a "ClearStream 2 Complete" that has plastic wings that
almost look like toy propellers as one of its 3 types of receiving wave
guides. *Right now it's just sitting on a bench indoors facing
diagonally out one of our windows towards most of the transmitters in
downtown Chicago. *I'm not even sure I'll bother mounting it outdoors as
it works as it is sitting in a corner of the living room.

====================
Ohhh Doug I wish you had informed me of that beforehand!

I purchased that in late '09 when I lived in an apartment. Fine
reception, but as you'll see: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...V-antenna.html
This is only a UHF(ch. 14 & up) pickup!
Check on TVFool to see if there are any high-VHF channels still in
your area(from 7 up to 13) as you will probably need to combine the C2
with a rabbit ears or other VHF dipole type pickup to get them.

Unfortunately in the first 6-12 months since the digital
transition(late 2009-early 2010) a lot of antenna hawkers sold a lot
of limited-band antennas as "HDTV antennas" or "Digital TV antenna!!"
and most folks bought 'em,(like moi!) not understanding exactly what
portions of the VHFUHF band broadcast TV was going to occupy after
the transition.

Do you live in a condo/apartment? If so keep the C2 and just purchase
this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...Antenna-(UVSJ),
connect the C2 where it says UHF, the dipole to VHF, and run RG6 to
your digital converter box or directly to your HDTV(whichever is your
case).

If you live in a house, or townhome where a small aerial is permitted,
sprint for what I mentioned I purchased or a slightly smaller Winegard
that looks sort of like it. One of those "jetplane shaped" aerials
will handle all your TV needs in one package.

=========================
strength of my existinghttp://www.channelmaster.com/CM_7000_Digital_Converter_Box_Channel_Ma...
! * (I'm still using analog tube tvs with flat fronts and under 10
years old. I calibrated the settings with DVD and the color and dark
detail is outstanding!)

One of our boxes is a Tivo Series 3 with a digital ready dual receiver.
I just plugged that leg directly into it. It's receiving and recording
just fine.

The other of our boxes is an older Tivo Series 2 with an analog
receiver and a DVD reader/writer. *No way I'm giving up a box with a DVD
reader/writer. *We went to Best Buy and got whatever brand of converter
box they happened to have. I tried a few brands on the menu list and
found that Apex worked. So far I haven't even told it to scan for
channels again. Among the ones that might be added is another cluster
of PBS and we already have one cluster of PBS channels. No biggie
having yet another PBS.

Good luck,

-ChrisCoaster