Mark DeBellis

On 17 Jun 2005 03:11:07 GMT, wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

Yeah, but. First, the problem, if it were a problem, could easily be
solved by listening to longer passages. No one's ever heard differences
between competent amps/cables doing it that way, either.

It would not solve the problem because once you had listened to the
first passage you would have to remember the property for the duration
of the second passage, and I am hypothesizing that you don't have
reliable memory for that. That is the problem.

FWIW, here I am thinking of SACD vs. CD rather than amps or cables. I
don't know if it makes a difference, but the intuition is about music
not white noise (say).

Second, the research demonstrates pretty clearly that our memory for
subtle sonic differences is very limited. In other words, contrary to
your conjecture, switching back and forth quickly and frequently really
is more effective.

Is the research that demonstrates this based entirely on the tests
that I am saying would not be sensitive to such possibilities? Isn't
that a circular argument? If not, what is the relevant research?

Mark