Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 16 Jun 2005 03:14:23 GMT, wrote:

If you hear something but do not retain a memory of it (sufficient to
carry out a certain kind of test), you still heard it. No?

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this book here befo Daniel Dennett's
_Conciousness Explained_. Probably my favorite treatese on the physical
process of cognition & perception -- thought-provoking, challenging,
elucidating and funny to read! Highly recomended.

Anyway, I mention this book because, in a nutshell, according to
Dennett, the answer to your question is "No."

In a slightly bigger nutshell, Dennett goes on to explain (with far
more conviction & evidence than I could possibly muster in a newsgroup
posting) that there is often a significant & meaningful difference
between What We Perceived, and What We Think We Perceived.