Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans Tom Evans is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

On 2014-12-08 04:25:59 -0800, Mike Rivers said:

On 12/8/2014 2:27 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
I'm confused; I'm looking for instrument sounds, but you've separated
that into instruments and libraries of sounds. What's the difference?

There isn't just a single sound that a piano or a violin or a tuba or
an electronic drum makes. A good sample "library" will have many
versions of each instrument played in different ways, over different
ranges (you don't just play middle C, shift the pitch up and down the
scale, and have a piano), and at different volumes. So your "Steinway 8
foot Grand Piano" is actually a library of sounds from a single piano.
A good VSTI will detect things like the MIDI velocity and pick the
sounds from the library that sound like a piano played with that touch.
Since real piano players play with dynamics, throughout a song, there
may be a number of different samples of the same piano playing the same
note.

I thought that velocity and touch-sensitivity are determined by the
computer program and keyboard, as the MIDI interprets how hard and fast
you hit the keys on the keyboard.

Tony