Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Recommend software for audio playback under Win XP?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs allen wrote:
On 27 Sep 2013 10:06:16 GMT, "~misfit~"
wrote:
snip
I need freeware as times have got tougher of late - what audio gear
I have now will likely have to see me out.

Can anyone advise me of suitable software? My main needs are
fidelity, 'auto-leveling' between tracks without compression and a
good random mode. The CPU available is a Pentium M running at 2GHz
with 2GB of RAM running Windows XP from a 320GB internal HDD with a
2TB USB HDD attached.

Thanks in advance.

Foobar2000 (freeware) has a steep learning curve but besides being
very powerful and flexible (manages a 150,000 track library on a 6 y/o
Dell XPS here without breaking sweat) also implements Random/Shuffle,
and Replaygain which is 'auto-levelling' done properly ie reversible
and without compression.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Cheers Allen. As I just replied to Arny I used to use (and recommend) Foobar
a decade ago, back in the days when it fitted on a 1.44MB floppy disc
(although I wrongly stated it was version 1.0). I must have given away a box
of discs worth of copies to friends. (Internet was mainly dialup here then
and not everybody had access.) Somewhere along the line I also tried an
implimentation of Replaygain but couldn't get it to do as advertised. In
fact I went from that old version of Foobar2000 to WinAmp (which had a tinge
of irony as I used to champion Foobar as being better than WinAmp) so that I
could use Stereo Tool ( http://www.stereotool.com/ ).

I've just downloaded the latest version of Foobar and a Replaygain plugin
and will spend some time tinkering with it.

Thanks,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]