Posted to rec.audio.high-end
allen allen is offline

Default Recommend software for audio playback under Win XP?

On 27 Sep 2013 10:06:16 GMT, "~misfit~"
wrote:

snip

I need freeware as times have got tougher of late - what audio gear I have
now will likely have to see me out.

Can anyone advise me of suitable software? My main needs are fidelity,
'auto-leveling' between tracks without compression and a good random mode.
The CPU available is a Pentium M running at 2GHz with 2GB of RAM running
Windows XP from a 320GB internal HDD with a 2TB USB HDD attached.

Thanks in advance.

Foobar2000 (freeware) has a steep learning curve but besides being
very powerful and flexible (manages a 150,000 track library on a 6 y/o
Dell XPS here without breaking sweat) also implements Random/Shuffle,
and Replaygain which is 'auto-levelling' done properly ie reversible
and without compression.

http://www.foobar2000.org/