Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

"Mr.T" MrT@home writes:
[...]
And as for on-line delivery, It may well be ten years or more before most
people can regularly download a single 20GB+ movie!

I don't have any facts to refute you, but my "gut" tells me this is way
off-base. I would guess that "most" folks (in the U.S.) have the ability
to download 20 GB more or less overnight right now [1], and that the
internet pipes are only going to grow bigger over time.

Is overnight, or even a couple of days, too long to wait? I don't think
so - many folks wait two to four days to exchange a movie from Netflix
these days.

--Randy

[1] The average cable modem download speed is around 4 Mb/s == 500 kB/s.
Then

(20 GB) * (1 s / 500 kB) * (1E6 kB / GB) * (1 hour / 3600 s) = 11.1 hours

--
% Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"