Laurence Payne

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:58:31 GMT, "
wrote:

Right after WW2 the US arguably had a national obsession with WW2. As a
nation we mulled it over again and again. We had movies about it, TV
shows about it, magazine articles about it, books about it, and even a
president or two (Eisenhower and Kennedy) about it.

Imagine that. Simply because it was the biggest threat to freedom in the
world up until that time and a magnificent stand with an uncertain outcome
by the free people of the world. Obsessed? Shame on us!

Then why were so many people against joining in the war? Until Pearl
Harbor, and after there was a very large anti-war contingent.

It wasn't perceived as a threat to America until Pearl Harbour.
Though happy to accept refugees from Hitler's oppression, even the
Jewish lobby didn't seem to see any reason to go over there and stop
it happening. Though, of course rescuing Europe in WW2 was used as
leverage towards the creation of Israel, a promise made by the Balfour
declaration of 1917, but conveniently forgotten.

Compare the current "concern" for the well-being of the Iraqi
population.

International politics is not a clean game.