steve

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
pH wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 13:58:43 GMT, wrote:

In rec.audio.pro pH wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 12:49:32 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

What is hight art?

Something which takes skill / talent to accomplish; the rarer the skill /
talent, the higher the art.

What is low art?

Something which takes no skill / talent to accomplish.

So that guy in the Guinness Book of World records who ate an entire airplane
(the only person to ever do so - very rare skill)

A rare feat, perhaps, but... "skill"? If you say so...

I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint and
squirted them out on canvas.

My father claimed that this was not art, that it was disgusting, and that
anybody could do it. He was horrified that the artist was paid $250,000
for this work.

I asked if he would be willing to do this for $250,000, and he said that
not for a million dollars would he be willing to paint with an enema.
"That," I replied, "is what makes it art."

He glared pretty hard at me.
--scott

I guess this means it's not every asshole that can make art...