mick

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:46:15 +1100, Patrick Turner wrote:

Some DVM do have a peak and hold facility, and you enage the peak and
hold, and the readout numbers are those of the loudest signal. You can
watch them rapidly ramp up, then play an entire CD, and thus get the
highest voltage for than CD.

I got such a DMM from Maplin quite a while ago (they still do it - WG022
at about 60UKP I think) but I had forgotten that it had max/min hold on
it! I just tried the above (but only for one track) and got a max reading
of just over 1.9v with the music "fairly loud". That's a smidgen above
0.45W per channel if you believe in 8R speakers. That seems to be about
right to me. I can't run "concert hall" volume with small kids next door.
:-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )