Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Default Need CLIPS for pairs of audio faders: Scott, Mike, others?

On Nov 20, 2:07*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:
Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
screwed over a pair of faders).

We always made our own. *Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. *Explain to them that you want
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

They will be different for every mixer. *I have some for API 440s
somewhere around if you happen to have an old API console.

(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
board.)

I think this will be a mistake, because you will find it is easier to
mess things up on a big general purpose console because there are so many
more control and more routing features.

On the other hand, they come in handy for mix minuses, and fixing eq
issues. And best of all, I can get beaucoups of channels, cheap.

*And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.

Have you considered mono? *It's the future, you know.

Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to get
everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

What the heck does this translate to?