Cyrus

In article 4,
John Schutkeker wrote:

I'm designing a system for shattering wine glasses with high intensity
sound, but my design doesn't "feel" right to me, and I need somebody to
tell me if I've forgotten something important. I need an oscilloscope to
measure the resonant frequency of the glass and a frequency generator to
produce it. I need stereo speakers and a stereo amplifier powerful enough
to generate the sound to break the glass.

I see 2 ways to go about this-

1. Pick the wine glass, measure the resonant frequency as you described.
And design a high sensitivity/high spl/bandpassed speaker configuration
that best reproduces that frequency range.

2. Pick a high sensitivity/high spl/bandpassed speaker configuration and
find a wine glass that its resonant frequency falls into.

Either way its just a matter of time and money.

Why not just throw the wine glass? Whats the point of this show?

But how do I correctly get the signal from the frequency generator into the
stereo amplifier. Do I need a pre-amp, or do I just wire it straight in?

Use the computer that sent this message, find a software frequency
generator, output a line level signal to a mixer/amp.

If I need a pre-amp, how do I spec it, on the outputs of the freq generator
and the input of the amplifier? What if I'm using a receiver with the pre-
amplifier and the amplifier built-in?

I seriously doubt a receiver has enough wattage for something of this
nature, but anything can happen with the high sensitivity that a
correctly set up speaker configuration can provide.

Can I just use the pre-amp that was
intended for the turntable?

Phono inputs will have an RIAA eq curve.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*