Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

Default APOLOGIES TO ALL: PIEZO TWEETERS DO SOUND LIKE ****!!!!

On 17 Feb 2017 20:11:57 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
The capacity of some capacitors (especially multi layer ceramic) is
dependent on the voltage across them; in some cases the value gets
halved! You don't want such in an audio path if the audio voltage is
a significant part of the blocking voltage (if any). See
http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?se...oc_id=1330877& .

Hey! I bet I could use that as a compressor!

:-) As a distortion thingy, more likely, albeit frequency and volume
dependent. See
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/c...age_change.htm ,
where a sine voltage across the cap results in a more or less
triangular current through it. The distortion would be more if the AC
was higher. The graph show the tops more or less OK, but the flanks
are distorted. I bet this would sound very different from
top-limiting, such as in guitar amps or overdriven tubes.

Mat Nieuwenhoven