Posted to rec.audio.pro
MD

Default Digital Room "Correction"

Scott Fraser wrote:

Both methods have their function - neither is perfect. For a single
sitting position correction in this range the Behringer works very well

- is much cheaper and doesn't impact the physical layout of the room.

No, even in the one sweet spot that you pick for EQing correctly, you
will never be able to fix the real problem, which is the ringing of
some frequencies. A spectrum analyzer will give you the false reading
that the room is flat at that location, but it deals only with
amplitude & ignores the fact that some frequencies sustain over time
after the initial energy is removed from the circuit, i.e. sound stops
coming out of the speakers yet continues to resonate in the room due to
its acoustic defects. EQ simply cannot ever correct the time domain
issues in a room.

Scott Fraser

Never said Ethan doesn't contribute anything worthwhile - because I
believe he does

Don't know what the lack of balls comment means. This is a written
forum. What would I be doing if I "stood alongside"?

There are times when Ethan puts the facts forward

What is the deal with me and Ethan? Not sure there is one.

Never said the DSP solves everything. Never said it solves the decay
issues.

Here's the deal. Ethan posted an answer to a novice who was asking for
help. In that email he said digital correction doesn't work at all.

Quote - can a digital EQ system like the Behringer, working only at
low frequencies (say below about 300Hz) be expected to improve matters -
In a word, No.

This is wrong, misleading and he knows better (his own experiments and
plots have shown this and he has said differently on other forums.)

I am not saying either DSP is a panacea. To be honest I haven't seen
enough data or done enough personal A/B tests to come to a conclusion on
whether traps or DSP are "better". For a single listening position DSP
can be quite effective and is much cheaper than traps. My ears and
plots tell me that (as do others ears and their plots)

I have a problem with someone who knows better saying something -
especially to a novice - that they know is patently wrong. Especially if
one has an agenda. If Ethan didn't know better and wasn't so well
informed I would have cut him some slack and replied on my own with a
more tempered rebuttal.

I am not in the business and have nothing to gain or lose by posting in
this thread.