Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

Default 24 bit audio over USB

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want
24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area
of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than
consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

I personally have a sound card with optical digital inputs and outputs and
leave the A/D and D/A to my audio gear. You can find USB sound cards with
digital audio inputs and outputs (both optical type SPDIF and RCA type
TOSLINK).

For A/D and D/A I'm using a Sony minidisc deck. If you hit record when
there isn't a MD in the deck, it does both A/D and D/A conversion. The
input button lets you switch between the analog and digital inputs. Of
course, you can buy external A/D and D/A converters, or use the ones that
exist on many modern amp/receiver/surround sound systems.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)