Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Best digital music recording program

geoff wrote:
On 13/05/2019 8:20 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
nickbatz wrote:
I've always found all the German-designed apps really non-intuitive
to use.

geoff

I've never found *any* DAW intuitive until I learned to use it!

I had the least trouble adapting to n-Track back in the day. It pretty
much used a mixer metaphor that was pretty obvious.

Getting away from the mixer metaphor to a time-line and envelopes one
was the primary and lasting leap forward for me.

There are still timelines but most of the control is though the mixer
rather than a small eternity of dropdowns.

Might surprise you, but I still don't use envelopes much. Instead I tend
to normalize the individual raw tracks to -25dB RMS ( and 16 bit ).

I mainly need mutes. For that in Reaper, you split the track at a point
and slide the edges. It offers a variable-length fadein for each end of
the "cut".

Always amuses me when I see a DAW trying to look like a mixer.

Yeah, because why would you use the primary metaphor that's already in
place? "It's a recorder; treat it as such" is still my approach.

There's far too much fiddling with stuff.

You can't really "fix" things. Sure, you can use Beat Detective and
Melodyne but that conflates composing with recording/producing.

No, I think that thinking of the timelines as the primary thing is
where we begin to go wrong....

geoff

--
Les Cargill