Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

Geoff wrote:
On 18/01/2018 1:13 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
Nil wrote:
On 16 Jan 2018, Les Cargill wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

You don't have to use amp sims any more, at least not with VST.
There is a free convolution VST - PULSE by Rosen Digital Audio -
and you load up an impulse response of your favorite amp and go.

That's only a speaker cabinet simulator. It doesn't model the amps
themselves.

It does if the impulse response is of both an amp and speaker.

Valid for one frequency (or group of), at one particular volume.

geoff

Not so much. It works at all the frequencies. You run a swept sine or
single-sample "tick" to the amp to be "modelled" and then use a
deconvolver to derive the impulse response.

Unless 1) you're using the amp as an extremely non-linear, in-the-
soundfield feedback leg or it's a 2) Champ or 3) a Dumble-type amp
it'll recreate a nicely-behaved clean amp well.

I have run a DI into one channel, a miced amp into the other.
Then I use an impulse response of the same amp on the DI track.
If you line out all the delays, they sound almost completely the same.
Of course there are subtle difference, but I swear the impulse
mixes better.

Perhaps Pete can explain it better than I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i770M9pM0_k

he does a comparison about 7:30 in.

--
Les Cargill