Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

Geoff wrote:
On 18/01/2018 3:31 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 9:12:36 AM UTC-5, polymod wrote:
"Les Cargill"Â* wrote in message news
snip

You don't have to use amp sims any more, at least not with VST. There is
a free convolution VST - PULSE by Rosen Digital Audio - and you load
up an impulse response of your favorite amp and go.

from a technical point of view,Â* if that is literally an IMPULSE
RESPONSE, I don't see how an impulse response canÂ* define the sound of
a guitar amp.

an impulse response captures the linear characteristics like frequency
response and reverberation, but does NOT capture non linearity
characteristics like clipping and distortion.

Non linearity is obviously an important part of a guitar amp sound and
is not captureed by impulse response.

Perhaps they are mis-using the term impulse response.

mark

An impulse response sample could not capture anything that varies widely
with guitar amp input or master level - just an instantaneous snapshot
of one particular sound setting and level.

geoff

If there was some way to demonstrate, I would do so. It won't
capture every single aspect of a guitar amp - like I said,
sometimes you have to reamp - but it is at least for me a
great starter.

--
Les Cargill