Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default turntable nightmare

Mr.T wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
I think one of the reasons today's audio gear is so "bad" has a lot to

do
with the fact that hi-fi audio is not a popular hobby any more.

The difference is that a good $500 amp from the 70's can often be found
at yard sale prices today. Many were built very well and still meet spec.
So the real issue becomes a $50 (used) amp WAY outperforming a modern
$500 amp...and possibly equal to a modern $4000 amp. For my money....

Sure, quite possible. But how does that apply to the assertion that today's
gear is "bad", simply because S/H gear might be cheaper?

In your case, for the $100 that you (the OP? I don't even remember at
this point.) spent on a crappy new turntable. From a thrift store, eBay
or a pawn shop, you could have gotten much more for your money. That
you didn't is a shame, but given that you won't divulge the details,
there's no easy way to help...or even a way to determine if you've
actually have a problem.

IOW, it's not that new gear is crappy (although it seems to be the case
these days for anything less than 'high end'), it's that really good
used gear is available at absolute bargain prices. The mainstream hifi
stuff sold in the 70's was *on an average* better quality...both in spec
and build quality.

IMHO, it's doubtful that much of the stuff sold today from Circuit City
or Best Buy is going to be sought after or collectible (or even still
working?) 30 years from now.

jak

MrT.