Posted to rec.audio.tech
MvonB MvonB is offline

Default turntable nightmare...SVU Mustang 500????

Earth calling The Krooborg!

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com

For example, I have a Marantz 1090 integrated amp (from
the 70's) that is only 45 WPC that will blow away any of
the junk that you can buy these days with twice the
"watts".

What does "blow away" mean?

If we checked out your 1090 on the bench, would it meet original spec or
say have many of the electrolytic caps lost their value and are they now
acting as high pass filters acting at say 100 Hz?

Hell, it will almost keep up with the amp I'm using on my
main system, a B&K power amp that is 105 WPC.

Under ideal conditions there should be no audible difference between a
good 45 wpc amp and a 105 wpc amp, given that both are kept out of
clipping which is usually pretty managable. 105 watts is only 3 and a
scosh dB more than 45 watts, and 3 dB is not all that much louder. So even
if we ran the 105 watt amp just under clipping, it would not be that much
louder than the smaller amp.

Also, the Space Shuttle is still using 60's technology,
sure it has some better computers than the rockets did
back then, but the basic principal is the same.

When you're talking complexity on the level of the Space Shuttle, there
are major prices being paid in terms of increased maintenance, and loss of
function, when you compare 60s technology and Y2K technology. It is your
tax dollars at work! Trouble is, the up front costs for a major update is
more than anybody wants to step up to.

On a more practical level, compare a 500 Hp street racer from the 60s
(say, my friend's souped-up 428 1968 Cougar) to a 500 Hp street racer from
today (say the new SVU Mustang 500). No comparison. The 428 is just
barely drivable on the street, and a constand maintenace job, while the
SVU Mustang drives mild when you want it to drive mild, and still nails
the 60s Cougar on either the road course or the drag strip and runs
optimally for 10,000s of miles without a tune-up.