Chuck Harris

Patrick Turner wrote:

kyser wrote:

I'm embroiled in a discussion on aus.hifi with a poster who recommends the
use of RG58C/U as speaker cable (with alleged sonic improvements over
standard figure-8 type flex).

Wouldn't the combined inductance/capacitance of this stuff constitute an LC
filter causing signal attenuation or, worse, amp output stage instability
over anything but a short run?

Patrick Turner? Anyone?

TIA

The typical inductance of a 3 metre speaker cable is perhaps 2 uH,
and the roll off is well above 20 kHz, as the pole formed by the
LR filter is at 637 kHz..
The capacitance between the pair of cables used may only be
200 pF, causing a pole at some RF frequency.
the L&C components would form an LC filter, which would display resonances
at some RF, but generally, the L and C components of speaker cables
are utterly negligible and have SFA effect on the engineering measurements.

Hi Patrick,

I have heard one explanation for sound improvements from odd speaker
cable remedies that I find plausable. Some of the "boutique" amplifiers
are so incredibly unstable at frequencies above the audio spectrum that
the RF characteristics of the cable can start, or stop the amp from
oscillating. Amps that are oscillating always sound awful!

-Chuck, WA3UQV