kyser

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

The RG58's do have a rather high capacitance, on the order of 30 pF per

foot (~100 pF per meter). So for an extreme case let's take, say, a 100
meter run (over 300 feet). The capacitance would be .01 uF. On an 8 ohm
system, assuming a 0-ohm amplifier output impedance, that would put the 3 dB
corner at about 2 megahertz. *Well* above the human range of hearing. So
from a capacitive POV, not to worry.

Inductance and lumped inductance/capacitance effects don't significantly

come into play at audio frequencies either. Again, not to worry.

The only problem I can see is ordinary, every-day resistance. The center

conductor in RG58 is quite small, perhaps only about 20-gauge. Let's see...
(I love my Google) - 10.4 ohms per 1000 feet. So to continue the same
example, you'd be losing about 1/3 of your output power in the stupid
speaker wire! Bad idea.

SNIP

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred: Thanks, I'm really not up on LC networks .....

My other concern was based on stories of musicians using guitar cables as
speaker cables on high power amps (eg 100W Marshalls etc, or BIG bass amps)
and damaging the output stages as a result.

This guy is a dealer, and recommends the use of coax as speaker cable
"because of its low inductance". Personally, I can see no possible
advantage, some potential problems, and I'd give it a miss.

Thanks also for your kind offer, but I'll pass on that, too! 8^)

Cheers

David (still got those 6U8As I bought off you)