Ian Iveson

"kyser" wrote in message
I'm embroiled in a discussion on aus.hifi with a poster who

recommends the
use of RG58C/U as speaker cable (with alleged sonic improvements

over
standard figure-8 type flex).

Wouldn't the combined inductance/capacitance of this stuff

constitute an LC
filter causing signal attenuation or, worse, amp output stage

instability
over anything but a short run?

All twin cables have capacitance, inductance and resistance. These
values are quoted for cables that must conform to a standard such as
the one you cite. You can therefore calculate the effect, taking
into account the length of cable, and other impedance in the speaker
circuit. In this case, unless you have some new kind of tweeter,
and VHF hearing, I shouldn't bother.

How such a discussion got you embroiled god only knows.

I think you will find that resistance is the most important feature
of a speaker cable. For most valve amps, virtually anything will do
nicely, since the output impedance is likely to be much greater than
any reasonable speaker cable.

My advice is quit the embroilment, it's not worth spending time on.

Patrick Turner? Anyone?

cheers, Anyone