Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default No correlation between price and frequency response in headphones

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:10:06 PM UTC-4, -dsr- wrote:

I imagine that this paper is largely unsurprising to r.a.h-e regulars.

No surprise at all. I keep a pair of Grado and a pair of Koss headphones, both US-made and enjoy both of them for different reasons. I have had and also enjoyed Sennheiser phones as well. I have listened to AKG and other Euro-types with less enjoyment, and any number of Japanese-source devices with no enjoyment at all. Not any sort of active dislike, just a thorough sense of being underwhelmed. The only Chinese-sourced devices I have heard are what is supplied with a cell-phone, and not actually under discussion here.

On the other hand, 90% of my headphone use is for bench-testing equipment, not heavy listening. The other 10% is heavy listening during quiet-times in the house. As our house is large enough and built in 1890 of brick & stucco in the relevant areas, those times are few.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA