Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Old faithful

"Greg Wormald" wrote in message

http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...s-hft-and-feq-
transform-bose-wave-radio

Hmmm,

Linn has maintained for many years that *any* unpowered speakers in the
room has an effect on the sound--usually negative. Although I suppose if
the unpowered speakers were better than the powered ones the effect
could be positive.

Linn's claims of this nature have been put to the blind test and found a bit
lacking:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/ba...x_testing2.htm

"
The day began with two brief tests of the Tiefenbrun claim that undriven
transducers (digital alarm watches, telephones, headphones, or other
loudspeakers) in the same room audibly degrade the sound quality - a claim
which forms the rationale behind their "single speaker" demonstration
demand. Firstly, a digital alarm watch with piezoelectric "beeper" was held
about 500 mm behind Tiefenbrun's head while he listened to the loudspeaker
reproduction from his stereo seat on the couch, with the watch either fully
exposed or clasped firmly between the palms of my hands. We were assured
that the latter artifice would muffle any deleterious effects. This was thus
a single-blind test: The testee did not know the covered/uncovered status of
the watch at each trial, but the tester did know. A random series of 20
trials was conducted while Remington cued up the turntable (playing a female
vocalist) on each occasion, as he did throughout the day. Tiefenbrun's
result: 10 correct responses in 20 trials, an outcome which shows no ability
to discriminate between the two situations.
The second test, also single-blind, used a Linn "Kan" loudspeaker as the
undriven transducer. Again the female vocalist was used as source material.
The loudspeaker lay on the thickly-carpeted floor behind the listening
couch. It was placed either on its side (the "uncovered" condition) or on
its face (the "covered" condition) according to a random series of choices.
Ten trials were conducted during which Tiefenbrun achieved a score of 5
correct out of 10. Again, this demonstrates no discrimination ability beyond
what one would expect purely on the basis of chance.

"

Key phrases: "demonstrates no discrimination ability beyond what one would
expect purely on the basis of chance."

If those little, cheap speakers ($1200 worth!) helped the Bose, what
would that say about the powered speakers on the Bose? And what would
$1200 worth of powered speakers do?

Look like expectation bias generators to me! ;-)