Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave C Dave C is offline

Default TV Antenna Connections & Temperature

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
Apologies for posting this here - there doesnt seem to exist a newsgrp
pertaining to TV reception issues.

My setup: Antennas Direct's model# DB-8(UHF) combined via uvsj
combiner with a plain rabbit ears(for high VHF) and rg-6 running to my
D/A converter. I live 35 miles northeast of NYC and generally get
everything I need over air. Antennas are mounted on an 8ft pole in the
yard.

The problem: When the temp drops toward freezing my signal strength
does too and I lose several channels - mainly the high vhf ones.

Q: Is this an effect of temperature dropping?

Thanks for any help you can lend me or any suggestions where else i
can post this inquiry.

-ChrisCoaster

Hi Chris,
First thoughts are you could have a connector issue
associated with your VHF antenna, or some other connection issue to the
actual elements that largely disconnects when things get cold. Second
thought is that 35 miles needs line of sight - your reported antenna height
may be low enough to be occluded by earth curvature or obstructed by some
near object.....refractive index will change with atmospheric conditions and
effectively drop your received signal strength.

Good Luck

Dave - no where near NY