Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default The Triode Connected 46!

In article ,
"GerryE123" wrote:

Hi:

A friend loaned me a pair of adapters to run triode connected 46s in my 45
amp. Here's a photo of the amp (with Arcturus globe 46s):

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e123/46amp.jpg

What's that big tube in the center, rectifier or voltage amplifier? If
it is the rectifier where are the input stages/voltage amplifier tubes?

So far, I like the sound of the 46s better than ANY 45 I have compared them
to. The 46s sound more powerful and make the 45s sound wimpy in comparison.
They also have significantly better bass response. I don't think it's just
a volume thing as the 46s seem to do all of the good things that 45s are
known for.

I'm not a techie, but I'm trying to understand why this is. Here's a scan
of the RCA Tube Manual (RC-17):

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e123/45-46.jpg

My amp's output transformers are Magnequest DS050s. The input and driver
tubes are both sections of a 5687. Why do the 46s sound more powerful?
Also, why is the bass response significantly better? Last, why does a
triode connected 46 sound as good as a 45 in all or most other attributes?

Any comments or insights would be appreciated! Thank you.

The bass response probably sounds "better" because the damping factor
with the 46 is lower than with the 45.

--
Regards,

John Byrns