The Flash

Default 20hz to 20Khz , yea right!

I thought up my own method for eliminating the effect of the room on
bass measurement (although, no doubt it has been done before). The
main feature is to place the (pressure) microphone within the speaker
and to compensate by 12 dB/oct.

Normally I use a MLS and filter out higher frequencies, say above
100Hz, with a brick wall FIR filter using Coooledit. The 12 dB/oct
compensation is also done in a similar way, either to the input MLS
or to the output recording. This sort of pre-filtering can give a
large increase to the signal to noise of the meaasurement.

There must be some restrictions on the accuracy of this method but
the only one I can think off at the moment is that the wavelength must
be large compared to the internal dimensions of the speaker. The
meaasurement includes the effect of any port and of the enclosure
flexing.

There is probably an assumption that the air is compressed
adiabatically. The pressures involved are, of course, small if the mic
is not to be overloaded.

What type of / brand of mic are you using?