Mike Rivers

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

In article writes:

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in ...
The only thing I know is that the letter "R" stood for "resilient
socket insulator" which differentiated it from the older phenolic
insulated "XL" model.

They probably used "R" for "rubber", but the marketing gerbs
changed it to "resilient" to make it sound more refined. :-)

Actually, Bob's probably right, assuming the concept is correct. I was
trying to think of a two dollar word for "rubber" when I wrote that
earlier in this thread. I doubt that genuine rubber was ever actually
used, though this was before the day when a company could be sued for
misrepresentation if they actually used a synthetic rubber-like
resilient compound instead of the stuff that grows on trees.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )