Mike Rivers

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

In article writes:

That's pretty ****ed up right there. So, both Americans and Europeans
were inconsistent between microphones and everything else?

Yes, because back in those days, unless you had two mics in a stereo
pair, you couldn't hear a difference. There just wasn't that much
resolution, reproduction accuracy, and there weren't that many
microphones or channels. It was as likely that someone had a miswired
cable as an oddball microphone, so you just listened to what you set
up and if something sounded like it was out of polarity, you changed
it.

No big deal then, no big deal now other than that people don't expect
that there might be problems that they need to fix before moving on.
Wiring polarity is something that can, and should be consistent. The
industry finally figured that out and now, for the most part, it is.

Generally today when we get a question about polarity, it's related to
mixing balanced and unbalanced connections, or about interfacing old
equipment with new.

This means
that if any European or US company built stand-alone mic preamps back
then, "correct" wiring would dictate an inversion between input and
output?

I'm not sure if any company "back then" built an outboard mic preamp,
but things like Ampex 350 recorders, widely used in broadcast and
recording studios, had microphone inputs (usually one, since most were
mono). The same polarity that went in came out. Now there was the
issue of polarity on tape, but that's something else. This is
something better drawn out on paper if you want to figure out what
might have been what.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )