George Gleason

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

How would we ever be able to get this right when JBL was making RED the
negitive on thier speakers!!!

My father (before I was born) worked as an electrician in a shipyard,
and wired up a bunch of pyrometers backwards because his boss insisted
that the red wire was positive and told him to wire them that way. The
other (the real positive) wire was white. Didn't matter (to the boss)
what the instruction sheet said. He knew better.

Since there isn't a standard for speaker connections, I don't know
that there's ever been a convention for polarity vs. color or even
number if the terminals are numbered. Seems to me that I've heard that
the terminal that has the positive voltage on it when the speaker cone
moves out (toward the listener) is defined as positive. If you put a
microphone in front of a speaker with the cone moving in that
direction, it should make pin 2 go positive with respect to pin 3.

all very true
though some things seem standard if one in not experianced enough to test or
know the exceptions
George

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (