Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Readily Visible Readily Visible is offline

Default Vintage Pioneer SX-838 receiver loses one channel after warmup

William Sommerwerck wrote:
But doesn't the fact that the left channel continues to be
the one that drops out when I switch the right channel preamp output to
the left channel main amp input and same for the other two ins and outs
at the back of the unit... doesn't this isolate the problem to the main
amp section?

Ah-yup.

There it is, then. Absolutely confirmation :-)

I have the unit on it's side now with the top and bottom removed. I
popped the top off the speaker relay and carefully cleaned the contacts
with a strip of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and the unit is playing
through some test speakers in mono mode with the balance all the way to
the left. Usually the left channel will cut out within 15 to 30 minutes.

Needless to say, it would be *great* if that turns out to be the
problem... or at least *one* of the problems: the cutting out and
staying out until the volume is turn up just past halfway. The fading in
and out over a period of ten 10 to 15 seconds is obviously something
else altogether.