Citizen Ted

On 20 Jun 2005 11:07:32 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

I avoid using safe mode as much as possible because it runs at a lower
resolution than what I nomrmally use (640 x 480?) and all the desktop
icons get re-arranged. When I go back to normal operation, I have to
arrange the desktop all over again so that I can aim the mouse to
where I'm used to aiming it. Is there any way to either make that not
happen?

Yes, there is.

StartRun.
Type in "cmd" and hit Enter.
A command prompt appears. At the command prompt, type this:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
(hit Enter, then type
start devmgmt.msc

This will bring up the Device Manager. Now go ViewShow Hidden
Devices.

Now all those damn ghosted-out nonpresent devices will show. Pay
particular attention to:

Disk Drives
Storage Volumes
USB Controllers

Also check Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Uninstall any ghosted
devices *except* Microsoft devices.

Look around at other stuff: keyboard, mice and Human Interface
Devices. You likely have redundant devices there, too. Do not
uninstall anything in Network, System, Ports or Computer. Do not
uninstall any device that you're not sure about uninstalling.

I had to do this twice today for people. In each case, it solved the
driver problem and gave them peace of mind.

- TR