Rich Andrews

"jav" wrote in news:T1Rmb.35735$HS4.126374
@attbi_s01:

I happen to own Magnepan speakers (1.6QR's) and I follow the used

equipment
newsgroups fairly closely.

I would point out that the "USED: $3100" price is ludicrous. I can't

recall
ever
seeing a pair of MG-20's under $4500. If an excellent pair were

advertised
on Audiogon for $3100 it would be sold in hours (and I might be the

person
buying them).

I quite agree and the whole point is that is what one company reports and
is subject to a variey of conditions including errors. I find it odd that
a 3 YO speaker would be listed at 1/3 of its MSRP. 1/2 is closer to a
realistic price. I have emailed Orion and told them about errors before
and they checked and indeed it was an error and they fixed it. You might
consider doing that.

Bottom line is that while the Orion is better than nothing, it is still
just a recommended guideline.

One also has to be careful about how the original manufacturer sold their
speakers. If the coompany sold them singly and not in pairs, the Orion
prices will be off by at least 50%.

Here is a listing that I am familiar with.

"MCINTOSH
SPK, XRT- 22 OAK/WALNUT

Manufacture Years: 1986 - 1993

Additional Information:

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.
Retail
MSRP: $4,600.00
USED: $1,700.00
Wholesale
Mint: $1,100.00
Average: $750.00"

$1700 is an insanely cheap price if one thinks that is a price per pair.
It is not even close to real world prices.

Even at $3400 per pair, the valuation is off by $800 to $1000. I can cite
other examples but why bother.

I look at it this way, even the most casual reader knows the BMC is a
troll and lies with nearly every posting. He even makes up prices for
equipment that isn't listed in the BB. On the plus side he/she/it creates
a lot of attention for the item and helps sell it. On the minus side, he
intimidates the hell out of people who might list something here. I think
a BMC FAQ should be posted every few weeks that factually addresses BMC
anti-social behavior.

Regarding this thread, too bad there isn't a spam filter for sociopaths.

"MAGNEPAN
SPK, MG-20/R 3-WAY

Manufacture Years: 1992 - 2000
Additional Information:

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.
Retail
MSRP: $9,200.00
USED: $3,100.00
Wholesale