Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

On 17/02/2019 11:42 pm, Howard Stone wrote:
I'm now interested in buying an Accuphase amp, and I've found one which looks as though it could be just the job, an Accuphase P-266. But it could need serious restoration.

I want to ask a favour. I have some images of the insides of the amp here. Could someone look at them and see if there's anything obviously wrong, any obvious red flags?

https://imgur.com/a/FyV3UcK

There's a description of the P-266 here

https://audio-database.com/Accuphase...p/P-266-e.html

**Two problems that I can see:

1) It is not Class A (though it is claimed to be). In fact, it is not
even remotely close to Class A. Personally, I would avoid any product
where the manufacturer has deliberately lied in the description of the
product. Look at the claimed power output and relate it to the power
consumption. The THEORETICAL efficiency of a push pull Class A amp is
50%. In the real world, the figure will be somewhere between 30% ~ 40%.
Accuphase lied. Liars should cannot be trusted.
2) It uses MOSFETs in a standard Class A/B configuration.

OTOH, Accuphase products are generally quite well built, using quality
parts. Obtaining service data is often challenging (impossible), as can
obtaining some spare parts.

Find an old Krell and rebuild it. MUCH better choice and offers real
Class A muscle. Even better, old Krells don't use MOSFETs and the really
old ones are fan cooled.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au