Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 2:48:21 PM UTC-5, nickbatz wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 10:08:17 AM UTC-7, Mike Rivers wrote:

Unless you have a serious EMI problem, adding transformers won't give
you any other enhancements.

I don't know why the transformer changes the color, but anyone who has a Millennia Media STT-1 will agree with me that switching it in or out of the circuit definitely does.

It's probably due to nonlinear, artifact, and other words that make me sound extremely intelligent.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! ::joke filter:: Sorry, Nick, you set yourself up for that one. Long time. Good to read you.

People a lot smarter than me have written a lot more than me about the effect that transformers have on sound.

I have an STT-1 (and feel lucky that I do). Yes, the transformer changes the sound. I think a more interesting question is, why would you want to do that?

I think initially, transformers were used to make impedance ins and outs more compatible. They also have been used to ignore noise and/or block it. The iron or nickel in the core does have an audible effect. Also, the windings. The last time I talked to Mark Fouxman at SAMAR audio in Utah, he had just finished building transformer winding rigs to make the wire lay down in layers a lot more precisely. I think he said that this also meant that fewer circuit compensations had to be made due to variations caused by less precise windings.

And there's a lot more to it. Check him out he

https://www.samaraudiodesign.com/cat...nsformers.html

In doing it the way he's doing it, one has to ask if the old comparatively more funky designs are part of what people expect when they THINK they want the sound of a transformer. But, you kind of really WANT to hear the effects of all the cleaning up he's done. Is it a brand new sound???? Hmmmm. THE CURIOSITY AWAKENS!!

The STT-1 I have doesn't suffer from any of these. I think it may have been another way to fancy up the input with options. You want it? There it is. Ask John LaGrou.