Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

On 02/10/2018 15:43, Ty Ford wrote:
I was just talking to John Hardy about transformers. I have an old Revox C279 desk with six preamps. I always liked the sound of the preamps and the desk has both pre and post fader outs, but they're unbalanced.

I can go from them to my A/D converter and into Pro Tools via light pipe and they sound nice, but I'm wondering how much if any difference there'd be if I used a good transformer to balance the signal before the A/D converter. I'm only running a 3 ft cable so I'm pretty sure I'm not losing a lot.

I'd say that depending on the material, it may sound better or worse,
with another thing to bear in mind being the load driving capability of
the preamps, as the transformers won't be the pure resistive load they
are possibly expecting and experience at the moment.

The sound will almost certainly change.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.