Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes

Default Williamson by QUAD?

In article om,
Bret Ludwig wrote:
Dunno where you get the idea Lucas distributors are not reliable.

Growing up in a family with several British cars.

I grew up with only British cars.;-) But the worst distributor I ever came
across was a Delco fitted to a Vauxhall.

Lucas ones of course required periodic lubrication - but if this was done
had a decent enough service life.

Or indeed the need to change from SU carbs.

he SU isn't that bad but needs constant maintenance.

Because they are adjustable and most carbs ain't plenty felt the need to
fiddle with them. Usually while not having clue as to how to set them
correctly. The only maintenance they needed was topping up the piston
damper at engine oil change times.

Later Jags had the useless Strombergs which were terrible.

Yes - they were slightly better at emissions control and semi tamper
proof. Compared to the SUs of the time - but SU developed a better unit
shortly afterwards.

Six chokes worth of Webers will increase the maximum power but loose
the tractability. Three SUs are a better bet for road use.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.