bear

Default Digital Interconnect to DAC, but once inside...

wrote:

Wouldn't the change from coaxial cable to twisted pair have more of an
effect on signal quality than the short length of "improper" shield
diameter going through an RCA connector?

snipo

Notwithstanding any other information given so far, the fact remains
that the "short" length of anything that the SPDIF runs through can,
although may or may not, effect what you hear.

Most of that depends on what goes on with the clocking in the rest of
the DAC.

DACs with better SPDIF receivers and PLL circuits generally have very
little audible "differences" to be heard than those who rely solely on
the incoming SPDIF to provide the sole "clock" reference.

Of course, you may not hear the resulting difference, and indeed the
original intent of the design was/is to obviate this issue having any
effect - but it does. The effect of clock variability, and other sources
of "slop" in the so-called "digital" domain on CD audio are documented
in various professional journals and mags...

Bottom line, if you hear a positive difference, then that is good.

Myself ---objectivists take note--- I use a 75 ohm coax that I found
happens to sound "good". ;_)

_-_-bear