Frank Dresser

"Steven Swift" wrote in message
rar+p and rats:

Okay, here's the answer directly from the Radiotron Designer's
Handbook, fourth edition, pages 1226 and 1227:

"Section 3: The Synchrodyne"
[...]
"and hence the synchrodyne is likely to be most popular for
high-quality local-station reception."

I think the fact that the synchrodyne never became at all popular as an AM
radio detector in the tube era means something. If I recall correctly, I
read that synchrodyne detectors would howl until they sync'd. Also, the
phasing would have to be perfect to get good demodulation from normal double
sideband AM.

There you have it. Are we done. This is a 3-tube design for
local stations. One RF amp, 2 12au7s. Use an IC or two in the
oscillator loop and its perfect, almost a Costas Loop.

Build it; they will come.

Steve.

I suppose it's something worth experimenting with, but diode detectors
aren't bad. Even in the solid state era, sync detectors aren't particularly
popular. The add on sync detectors are expensive. It still doesn't seem to
be easy.

Frank Dresser